Whether you have school-aged children or not, you likely feel the “back to school” season beginning to get underway at this time of year. Each store you walk in to has the back to school theme. Commercials on television and radio try to sway parents to one store or another for back to school shopping.
If you are anything like me, this time of year brings back a lot of great memories of back to school season growing up. I still get excited about the “newness” of it all to this day. Crisp, clean socks and shoes. School clothes and play clothes. All of the new things signal a new beginning for your child. A fresh start. This is only the beginning in terms of what we do as parents to set our children up for success to begin a new “school year.”
But what about us parents? What have you done to set yourself up for success?
Did you participate in some form of childbirth education prior to delivering your first baby? Why stop there!? We aim to make parent education about behavioral, social, and emotional development as normal as childbirth education.
The entire month of August and some of September are devoted to “Back to School Success” at Behave Your Best! We have several parent events in August aimed at promoting a successful transition for your entire family to the fall routine:
1. We will be doing back to school themed lunch and learns at our corporate partners.
2. Our monthly webinar on August 3rd focused on back to school success. Check our YouTube channel for recordings of our webinars if you weren’t able to join us. Mark your calendars for the first Wednesday of each month at 8:30 pm CST!
At Behave Your Best, we are on a mission to make parent education regarding social, emotional, and behavioral development as normal as childbirth education is. Watch this video before reading on
School districts offer Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE), but these services are usually offered during the day, so working parents aren’t able to participate beyond the first 6-12 weeks of the child’s life.
There are books on the market, but there isn’t a book that knows your child and can take into consideration your family values and routines. When you finally get time to yourself at the end of the day, the last thing you likely want to read about is parenting. Wouldn’t it be great if you could enjoy that time with your spouse? Or to participate in a hobby you enjoy? Or read something you want to read?
Parenting classes abound, but are far removed from your actual daily interactions with your child.
Parent coaches are available for phone consultation. In my experience, most parent coaches attended a weekend training to earn their certification. We don’t call ourselves parent coaches, though one could argue that is what we do with a family. The reason is that our approach is uniquely behavioral and we are all Board Certified Behavior Analysts. What we teach parents is different. For example, parent coaches usually have you identify family rules, all of which begin with the word NO, such as No Hitting. Philosophically, our approach focuses on teaching you to teach your child what TO DO, and puts minimal planning and focus on the unwanted behavior at all. Our entire plan involves teaching your child skills that are going to effectively compete with the unwanted behaviors. And the way we teach it is very different than anything else out there. Curious how? Apply for a FREE, no obligation consultation with me today!
We offer a variety of opportunities (both FREE and paid) for you to obtain evidence-based education efficiently. We know you are busy! So are we!
- We have live and virtual educational events during the colder months. Watch for our newsletter, or visit our events calendar on our website or Facebook page.
- We have produced 3 of our most popular parent workshops for OnDemand access (“The Ins and Outs of Toilet Training” , “Solve Your Child’s Sleep Disruptions” , and “Pretend You Are A Light Switch!™”© ).
- We have created a secret online BYB Community on Facebook where we offer 2 FREE virtual educational events per month, both related to parenting and topics of interest to parents of young children. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be added to the group.
- We host Park Meet-Ups in the summer months in lieu of virtual events in the summer. This is an opportunity to see us implement the strategies with our children in a casual setting.
- We offer the opportunity for prospective clients to apply for a complimentary 30-minute phone consultation.
- We offer tele-behavioral consultation to families outside of the Twin Cities, MN.
- We offer in-home behavioral consultation to families in the Twin Cities, MN metro area.
- We write a monthly blog
- #MondayMessage video posts on social media
- Monthly newsletter with a Tip of the Month
- Monthly FREE webinar beginning July 6, 2016 and every 1st Wednesday of the month thereafter
Have more ideas of how to get you our amazing content? Comment below!
Jamie Waldvogel, MS, BCBA
Founder and Owner of Behave Your Best!
The material contained herein is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to create or constitute a behavioral consultation relationship between Behave Your Best, LLC and the reader. The information contained herein is not offered as behavioral consultation and should not be construed as behavioral consultation.