As a parent, do you sometimes wish your child came with a behavioral user guide? Unless you happen to be a behavior analyst, becoming a parent doesn’t automatically come with child behavior expertise. While parenting books are plentiful, they require the ability to sift through for the tips that actually apply to your child/family. Because not all of the tips can be appropriate for all children. Facebook groups may be a great place for support and encouragement, but a dangerous place to seek behavioral advice. Well-meaning friends, family members, Facebook friends, coworkers, or neighbors offer needed support and encouragement. As a result, without an assessment regarding the reasons the behavior serves YOUR child, you’ll likely see temporary improvement at best. Worst case scenario, advice without an assessment can actually make things worse.
As child behavior experts, we specialize in identifying why a child is engaging in an unwanted behavior. We are experts at teaching new skills to replace common concerns like these:
“I have to repeat myself 5 times before my daughter listens to me.”
“I have a very stubborn 3 year old.”
“A power struggle ensues every night at dinner time.”
“I dread bedtime because my son has become the master negotiator.”
“My son hits his brother.”
“I can’t get my son to eat (food).”
“How do get my kids to stop fighting?”
“My child wakes up several times throughout the night.”
“My child is refusing to use the toilet for bowel movements and is now severely constipated.”
If any of these sound familiar, YOU ARE NOT ALONE AND YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG AS A PARENT!!! These concerns are common with children of all ages and abilities as they experience developmental changes. While the possibility of these behaviors may be “normal”, a pattern of learned unwanted behavior is not “normal”.
HERE IS HOW IT WORKS:
Complimentary phone consultation
You will start by requesting a complimentary, 30-minute phone consultation. We will send you our Pre-Consultation Interest Form to complete prior to the phone consultation. We will send you a text message or email with proposed times for the phone consultation. During the phone consultation, we will ask you questions to ensure we are able to meet your needs. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions about our services. To participate in our program, you’ll need to be available for a minimum of four consecutive weekly, 1-hour consultations.
In-home assessment visit
Our first visit to your home functions as an assessment visit. Assessment methods may include: interviewing you about your child’s behavior in person or on the phone, direct observation of your family, review of assigned baseline data, direct interaction with your child to model recommendations and ensure your child responds as expected to recommended strategies, and/or record review. Our goal is to leave you with at least one strategy to which your child is responding positively.
The User Guide you’ve always wanted!
In-home consultation will be provided for a minimum of two visits. After the first visit, you’ll receive written Proposed Goals and Initial Recommendations. Individualized after-visit consultation summaries accumulate throughout the service to create an individualized “user guide” to your child’s behavior. You’ll refer back to this for years to come when new things come up! Our goal is that you will not need to call us back for additional services in the future. We aren’t just putting out your current behavioral fires. Our goal is that you learn to recognize new patterns of behavior as soon as they begin to develop. More than that, we leave you with new parenting tools to reference customized to your child.
We will first provide in-home consultation until we have sufficient data to suggest that you can continue to progress toward agreed upon goals with less support. Our next level of support is tele-behavioral consultation via Zoom virtual meeting room. We’ll help you set up a webcam so we can hear and see everything to coach you. We will call you through your phone to coach you through the recommended strategies. Parents use either earbuds or a hands-free bluetooth earpiece. This is necessary part of the program to systematically fade back our support for your long-term goal sustainability. We begin to mirror the conditions of long-term success.
When we have sufficient data to suggest that you have accomplished your agreed upon goals or when you can continue to progress toward agreed upon goals with less support, we will recommend phone consultation. This process of systematically reducing Consultant involvement is designed to promote long-term behavioral gains and minimize the potential that your new skills and/or your child’s behavior regresses. For this reason, phone consultations are offered weekly after tele-behavioral consultation visits are no longer required. Phone consultations may last up to thirty minutes.
FEES FOR BEHAVIORAL CONSULTATION TO PARENTS (fees subject to change at any time)
The number of weeks of Consultant support necessary to achieve parental goals will vary depending on several factors including, but not limited to:
- The behavior(s) of concern
- Consultant, parent, and child schedules
- Frequency/intensity of behavior
- The length of time the child has been engaging in the unwanted behavior; the longer the behavior has worked for the child, the longer it will take to resolve
- The extent to which the behavior serves multiple functions for the child; a given behavior may work to get attention from others and make work to effectively escape non-preferred situations/activities
- Parent ability to implement recommendations – each person has a unique learning style and response to training
- Family availability
We start all families with a 4-week commitment and recommend further visits based on progress towards goals. Our internal data suggests most families require an average of 6-8 weeks of support to accomplish goals and maintain them over time. We require prepayment, use PayPal to invoice, and accept PayPal, credit card, or debit card for payment. In some cases, families are able to use HSA funds. Fee for the initial 4-week consultation package is $1200.
YOUR BEHAVIORAL CONSULTATION TO PARENTS PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- A minimum initial commitment of 4 weeks of consultant support, starting with in-home consultation, followed by tele-behavioral consultation
- Consultant travel to and from your home within a 30 mile radius
- After-visit consultation summaries accumulate to create and individualized guide to your child’s behavior (priceless)
- Reasonable and necessary phone, email, and text message communication between weekly in-home and tele-behavioral consultation visits
- Unlimited access to our pre-recorded webinar, “Pretend You Are a Light Switch!®” ($79 value)
- Unlimited access to our pre-recorded webinar, “Teach Your Child to Listen the FIRST Time!” ($79 value)
- Monthly webinars (up to a $54 value)
We will make data-based recommendations regarding continuation of services at least one week prior to the last scheduled visit. If our assessment and/or parent and child progress towards goals indicate the need for additional consultation visits beyond the initial 4 weeks, services will be billed using the following fee schedule:
- In-home consultation beyond the initial 4 weeks will be billed at $300 per week
- Tele-behavioral consultation beyond the initial 4 weeks will be billed at $270 per week
- Phone maintenance, which includes 2 hours per month, is billed at $240 per month. Phone support is recommended to maintain skills over time after in-home and tele-behavioral consultation is no longer necessary.
- Monthly webinars are included at all times while receiving services
We look forward to the opportunity to serve your family!